Saturday, May 8, 2010

Love is in the air in Kentucky!!


Something is definitely going on in Kentucky!  Lots of weddings are popping up this spring and Kentucky is a beautiful place to be married.  My most recent wedding took place in Versailles.  I served as a second shooter/assistant, once again, for Danelle Alexis Photography out of Lexington.

Every wedding is so different and interesting to experience.  From the protocols of the various Churches, the beliefs of the couple, the family and friends that are in the wedding, even down to the guests who attend - all these roll together to create a very unique and sometimes unusual occasion.  This particular couple was very laid back and very sweet.  I enjoyed hanging with them for the day.  They have 2 kids between them that get along beautifully.  They will be great brothers.

There were no groomsmen, but rather groomswomen.  So, my job being hanging with the guys getting ready, consisted of hanging with the groom and the 2 boys.  I have to say I really felt for the groom.  He had his hands full.  The boys are great, don't get me wrong, but they are boys.  Ages 7 and 5, I believe.  Stuffing little energy balls into tuxedos is no easy task.  Well, stuffing them in is o.k., but keeping them clean, off the floor, off the walls, etc....that's no easy task and this groom had to do it alone.  He was pretty much exhausted by the time pictures rolled around.   

This was another old, beautiful Church.  The floors were super dark brown hardwood, almost black.  They creaked when you walked in certain places.  I felt such a history being in this historic church.  The pews were encased inside a wooden box.  A door had to be opened for guests to step inside and be seated.  Last time I saw something like that was in Williamsburg, VA.  The groom actually was the architect for major additions to the Church.  He designed a beautiful courtyard, that we didn't get to use for photos due to an incredibly serious thunderstorm that took place the whole entire wedding day.  So, no outdoor shots, which are my personal favorite!  We also weren't permitted to use flash during the ceremony and had to remain in the balcony, which was like a football field away from the altar.  I'm pleased with how my shots turned out given what we were up against.  And, can I add, in order to reach the balcony, we had to climb a tiny, skinny, narrow, dark, curved staircase - which was kept behind a locked door.

I wasn't sure I enjoyed shooting weddings until this wedding.  As I look back on it, it is quite a unique experience, albeit exhausting.

Thanks for stopping in and enjoy the break of our hurried life to peek inside a stranger's world....
  Click HERE to enter gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment

NeoCounter 2