Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Romantic Places


This week, i heart faces isn't having a traditional contest.  They asked us to post our most romantic places and the first thing that came to my mind was our California vacation last summer.  Nothing says a great vacation quite like California.  There are so many fitting locations there, but I narrowed it down to just one...

Every since I was a little girl, I wanted to take a hot air balloon ride.  It seemed so magical and enchanting to me.  In the neighborhood that I grew up in, we frequently saw hot air balloons sail over our home on any given weekend.  Three to four of them at a time.  I loved the vibrant colors and to watch them gently pass by going up and down in the sky.  The only thought I ever had of danger was when one landed in my neighbor's backyard.


When my 40th birthday was approaching, I had decided I wanted to take a flight.  Having no idea these hour long rides are so pricey, I decided I really didn't want to spend that much money for one hour and end up taking the trip near my house anyway.  I would save it for a time when we were somewhere more exotic than Ohio!  I used the money I had been given toward my Nikon D90 instead!  Turned out to be a very wise choice.

So it came time to plan our summer vacation and we decided this was going to be a rather "big" trip.  We were blessed to find 5 available airline tickets using our frequent flyer miles and several great deals on lodging through Travel Zoo.  I decided, what better place for a hot air balloon ride than California!  So, on day 2, I had a booked flight for 3.  Yes, this is a "romantic places" entry, and by all means, YES, a hot air balloon fits the bill, but I was intending to leave my husband on the ground with our 3 year old.  Bummer!  We certainly didn't want to take her along and risk her crying with a basket full of other riders who spend good money on their trip, so I took our older two and left my sweet husband waving goodbye to us.



We were the only "family" aboard.  Everyone else was - can you guess it? - couples!  There is nothing quite like floating 7,000 feet above ground in a basket!  It's a bit scary - my hands shook the whole time, but so well worth it.
 
 


The peace, the cold air mixed with the heat of the flame, the setting of the sun, the rush of adrenaline when you realize you (and the pilot) have no idea where the basket will land, and the finishing toast of champagne (I had a Sprite :) ), and a fruit and cheese tray....there is nothing like it in the world.  A most romantic adventure for sure even if your husband is 7,000 feet below you at a McDonald's with a 3 year old.  It's all good!

Where's your most romantic place?  Leave a comment below!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, that looks like an awesome experience, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for stopping by over at my blog! I love hot air balloons, but have never had the opportunity to ride in one. It's one of those things on my bucket list!

    You asked about Glacier Nat'l Park. It is totally doable with a 3 year old. My son was still one when we went this last time, but he did really well. I was a little worried about all the riding around, but he did fine. We started in Yellowstone and spent a few days and then headed up toward Glacier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it is SO beautiful. Wow. I can't even imagine how spectacular the views from the air balloon were. Wow. I love that you went on this adventure to treat yourself for your 40th Birthday. That is so wonderful : )

    ReplyDelete

NeoCounter 2